Jobs and Internships
The EJC is an equal employment opportunity employer and will hire without regard to applicants’ race, color, gender, religion, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, familial responsibilities, marital status, veterans status, personal appearance, political affiliation, matriculation, receipt of public benefits, or any other characteristic that is protected under D.C. or federal law.
The Employment Justice Center (EJC) seeks a Legal Director to support all aspects of the EJC’s mission to secure, protect, and promote workplace justice in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. EJC provides legal information and advice to low-income workers with employment law disputes at our free Workers’ Rights Clinics; legal representation in contested employment law matters through staff and pro bono attorneys; and community education to workers about their rights and responsibilities on the job. EJC also leads advocacy and enforcement activities to improve the rights and conditions for District workers and to address the needs of workers excluded from employment opportunities.
The EJC promotes a management style that inspires and encourages professional growth. The position requires a strong work ethic, a commitment to working collaboratively, an ability to respond to shifting trends and legal practices affecting low-wage workers, and a commitment to a flexible, comprehensive view of representation on behalf of low income workers that values both individual and systemic advocacy.
Responsibilities of the Legal Director:
- Overall management of the EJC’s legal program.
- On-site supervision and management of EJC’s Workers’ Rights Clinics, including supervision and training for EJC legal staff and our extensive volunteer network.
- Maintaining and expanding relationships with the private bar, academics and law school clinics to support workers’ rights litigation and advocacy.
- Identifying and assessing litigation opportunities and relevant research, policy analysis and advocacy, and helping to lead those efforts.
- Supervising the EJC’s Litigation Attorney and the Clinic Coordinator.
- Collaborating with the Executive Director on all legal, advocacy and supervisory matters, serving as a member of the management team with a unionized staff.
Qualifications of the Legal Director:
- Minimum of four to seven years legal practice experience preferred, particularly in labor and/or employment law.
- Barred in Washington DC, or eligible for timely admission to practice.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people, including staff attorney and non-attorney volunteers, clients, board members, community groups, labor unions, and funders.
- Superior oral, written communication, editing skills.
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills.
- Management experience involving supervision of legal staff.
- Fluency in Spanish, French, Amharic or Arabic a plus
Salary will be commensurate with experience, up to $70,000 annually. A generous benefits package including organization-paid health insurance, 403(b) eligibility, sick leave and 6 weeks annual paid vacation is provided. Although limited evening or weekend hours will be required for some meetings and events and participation in the EJC’s clinics, the EJC is strongly committed to overall work-life balance. This is a non-bargaining unit position.
The EJC is an equal employment opportunity employer and will hire without regard to applicants’ race, color, gender, religion, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, familial responsibilities, marital status, veterans status, personal appearance, political affiliation, matriculation, receipt of public benefits, or any other characteristic that is protected under DC or federal law.
To apply, please reference any of the above factors that are relevant to your application explicitly in your cover letter and/or resume. Send cover letter, resume, and a short writing sample to Philip Fornaci, Executive Director, and forward materials to email@example.com.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until position is filled. This is an immediate vacancy. Absolutely no phone calls.