Script for call-in to Councilmember Anita Bonds
Hi! Thanks for signing up to call Councilmember Anita Bonds’ office on Monday, November 25th. Your phone call is critical in helping to ensure that the minimum wage goes up for ALL of DC’s workers, in addition to expanding access to paid sick days.
For Councilmember Anita Bonds, please call (202) 724-8064.
Here is a sample script and talking points that you can use.
Please feel free to adapt this and express why you personally care about these issues and leave a voicemail if no one answers the phone.
My name is _____________ and I live here in DC in Ward ______.
During her campaign, Councilmember Bonds said that she supported a minimum wage of $12.50 and I agree that it should be at least that high. If the committee produces a bill to raise the minimum wage to $11.50 and include an automatic adjustment for the cost of living, will Councilmember Bonds vote to support that?
I would also like to thank Councilmember Bonds for her support of the Earned Sick and Safe Leave Amendment Act of 2013. Right now, workers in some of the industries that have the most contact with the public are forced to go to work sick if they want to pay their rent and keep their job. That poses a hazard to everyone and I’m glad she’s working to fix that.
Finally, I would like to see Councilmember Bonds support a raised in the tipped minimum wage as well.
I know these bills are scheduled for mark-up soon and all of these issues are critical to the economic security of DC’s working families.
Minimum wage: A $12.50 wage would directly help 45,000 DC residents who live and work in our city to rise out of poverty.
- Tipped minimum wage: DC’s tipped minimum wage , which applies to restaurant servers and bartenders, is $2.77 an hour– putting DC in the bottom half of states. Now is the time to raise the minimum wage for tipped workers as well so they don’t fall further behind.
When you are done, visit the Paid Sick Days for All Facebook and Twitter page (@paidsickdaysDC). Let others know how the office reacted to your phone call and encourage others to make phone calls as well. Please feel free to email me with feedback about how the call went (Niser@dcejc.org).
Here are some sample tweets you can use:
- I just called @AnitaBondsDC to tell her to #payDC! Keep #paidsickdays a priority and raise the minimum wage for all of DC’s workers
- Hey @AnitaBondsDC I support $12.50/hour, raising the tipped minimum wage, and passing #paidsickdays NOW! #payDC
- Hey @AnitaBondsDC $2.77 is not enough! DC’s tipped workers need a raise and #paidsickdays! I support $12.50 for all! #payDC
- We’re calling @AnitaBondsDC all day demanding #paidsickdays with a minimum wage increase. Almost as annoying as having to work sick!
- We’re calling @AnitaBondsDC all day to say we need #paidsickdays with our minimum wage increase. Take a minute to join us! (202) 724-8032